Monday, April 12, 2010

THIS WOMANS WORK

Often times we are told that we should value the friends we have in this lifetime because they are rare, well I have few friends but the woman’s opinion that I value the most is my mother. Who wouldn’t rely on the first voice you ever heard, or depend on the person who’s had your back since day one? I often speak to my mother several times a day to many times a week, I know most view it as excessive my sisters have been telling me for years “that I am such a momma’s baby and “girl you tell momma entirely too much!” Well I must admit she gives the best advice around… harsh words at times, but often so true!

Recently, I found myself repeating a G-dub-ism(the coined phrase I often use when quoting my mother) at work, “As long as you can read black writing on white paper you are going to be alright!”, if I’ve heard that once I’ve heard it a thousand times from my mother. As I stated this to my co-worker last week they gave me the most beguiled look; and left me highly disgruntled as I struggle to comprehend why adults don’t understand this concept in the work place?

According to www.hr.com More than 20% of adults can’t read well enough to complete an application. Another 25 percent, while able to read at a somewhat higher level, still lack the ability to function successfully on the job and in society. That’s almost half of the population. (Workplace literacy: Are Your Employees Making the Grade? August, 07)
Seriously… It was something in the unspoken look of confusion that made me wonder, Am I surrounded by the functionally illiterate or are we that stubborn that we refuse to comply with simple expectations and directives, that fall within the boundaries of our contractual obligatory duties in the work place?
Many educators have a saying that reading and comprehending are two different things. Well it’s time for many of us to take my momma’s advice and get on board with reading the writing that’s on the wall. We are at our highest rate of unemployment in our nation’s history! Stop taking our limited positions of employment (better yet the blessing of having a job when so many are looking for granted).Get on board folk’s momma didn’t raise no fool!

1 comment:

  1. Ms C...I enjoyed the read. Personally, I can relate to you about the "excessive" talking to Mom. I've been in the Armed Forces for almost 18yrs and I can, honestly, say that I've talked to my Mom EVERYDAY! Most of the times the conversation is just to see how she's doing but there are those times where I seek her wisdom on different situations or ideas.

    As for why people in the work place choose to stand aside and let someone else "read the black print on the white paper" I have a few thoughts: 1) they are being lazy 2) they don't like what they do and/or are there for the paycheck 3) they don't want to feel like they're being a "uncle tom," or "brown noser" for excelling or being perceived as being an "overachiever" by their peers. I mean I could go on really.

    Your comment about "taking limited positions of employment" brings to mind my recurring situations w/the teachers and counselors in my beloved JISD. Every since my kids have attended the district I feel as though I've had to be "johnny on the spot" when it comes to the development of my kids educational opportunities.

    My two oldest, 15 and 13, are both enrolled in AP courses, and have been for the passed three years. But, that's because I'm an involved parent, and I took the intitiative to engage their teachers, first, and then their counselors about these 99,98,97's they were receiving on their report cards. This went on for a full semester. So, finally, I suggest that maybe they should be considered for AP courses...and guess what the administrators said? "Yes, that would a good idea I know they would do well in AP courses. WHAT??? So, why didin't their teachers suggest it?

    Where are the educators? I know they have a lot to deal with in the classrooms but, if you can't get the job done let someone else do it! These people are occupying "positions of employment" that have a DIRECT impact on the future of this country!

    Again, Ms C. excellent piece of writing. I enjoyed it. Your words are genuine and full of merit. I'm sure others will be satisfied once they've read it,too.

    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete